Spanish to English Literary and Commercial Translation
Native English speaker fluent in written and spoken Spanish with overseas residence experience. Specializing in literary translations for print, stage and screen, with a focus on contemporary Latin American fiction authors.
Print and Stage
- "Diary of a Sentimental Killer" a novella by Luis Sepúlveda. Literary translation and editing of the novella adapted for the stage, performed by Teatro dei Borgia at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, August, 2010, and the Prague Fringe Festival, June, 2011. A Scottish review at fringereview.co.uk and a New York Times City Guide post on the Prague Fringe Festival.
- "A House in Santiago" a short story by Luis Sepúlveda, Literary translation of the short story appearing in the Spring, 2010 issue of Make Literary Magazine. Read the full story.
Excerpt from Martin Seay's review: "...a short story by Luis Sepúlveda (translated by Paul Grens) that got from me at several points the same head-shaking seriously? reaction as when I read Michael Chabon, or Paul Auster, or Raymond Chandler, and I do not intend this as a criticism..." Read the full review.
This translation was also featured in the Notables section of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2011, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and edited by Dave Eggers, in October, 2011.
- "Nupcias" a short story by Gonzalo Contreras, Literary translation published by Make Literary Magazine, Chicago, IL, in September of 2009. Read the full story.
- Translation of new series promo material (bios, script synopsis) for a leading cable network.
- Translation of a Chilean feature film script for pre-production budgeting purposes.
- Translation of the script for Fernando Urdapilleta's: The Mother of All Queens: Irma González [Irma Gonzalez: Madre de todas las reinas], which had its debut at the Morelia International Film Festival in Morelia, Mexico in 2006.
- Translation of an infomercial script for a major beauty product corporation.